Friday, November 26, 2010

The Cafe

INT. A CAFE - DAY
A woman and a man sit at a table. JENNY, 27, is pale and weak, with stringy light blonde hair. ANGELO, 23, is muscular with thick black curly hair and a cherub-like face. Jenny nervously dithers over a menu while Angelo leans back in his chair, relaxed. A waiter hovers over them.
ANGELO
Are you going to order anything?
JENNY
(to waiter)
Give me a minute. I still need time deciding.
ANGELO
We’ve been here for 20 minutes. 
JENNY
Just give me a minute, okay?
Waiter leaves.
ANGELO
What is it?
JENNY
I can’t decide between the steak frites and the mussels. I don’t know if the mussels are fresh, but I like my steak cooked to very exact specifications and-
ANGELO
No. Why are you so nervous?
JENNY
Well, it’s not exactly like I’ve been out to a restaurant recently.
ANGELO
Recently as in?
JENNY
Five years.
ANGELO
What? Why?
JENNY
Are you kidding? It's terrifying!
Angelo laughs.
JENNY
You shouldn't mock me. I’m agoraphobic, you know. Agoraphobic, hoplophobic, taphophobic, aviophobic, scopophobic, and nephophobic.
ANGELO
That’s quite a collection.
Jenny stands up angrily.
JENNY
I said don’t mock me!
Jenny notices that other people are staring at her and sits down quickly, staring at her plate.
ANGELO
Alright, calm down. You’re not very timid for someone who’s afraid of everything.
Jenny glares at Angelo. He shrugs.
ANGELO
Just tell me this. If you’re afraid of strangers and going outside and the rest of it, what are you doing?
JENNY
Honestly, I have no idea. Maybe I felt sorry for you.
ANGELO
Can’t blame a tourist for being lost.
JENNY
Still doesn't explain it. I can't believe I'm here.
Waiter re-enters.
WAITER
Have you finally decided on something, Miss?
JENNY
Are the mussels fresh?
WAITER
The very finest, brought in from Leicester market today.
JENNY
I suppose I’ll have to have those then.
WAITER
And for Sir?
ANGELO
I... I’ll have what she’s having.
WAITER
(writing)
... And another order of mussels. I’ll be back with your meals in a few minutes.
JENNY
Didn’t you want the minestrone?
ANGELO
Yes... Yeah hold on a minute.
Angelo gets up and walks over to the waiter.
ANGELO
Actually can I change my order to the... (looks at Jenny)
JENNY
Minestrone!
ANGELO
Yes. Minestrone.
Angelo walks back to the table.
JENNY
Are you okay?
ANGELO
Yeah, I’m fine. I just have a headache.
JENNY
Are you sure? I’ve got some great herbal stuff back at my apartment. We could head back.
ANGELO
Sure, let’s go.
They both get up. Angelo helps Jenny into her coat, avoiding eye contact.
EXT. A QUIET STREET OUTSIDE CAFE - A FEW SECONDS LATER
Angelo and Jenny walk quickly down the road. Jenny looks concernedly at Angelo, who is still looking away. Angelo tries to lead them down a side street but Jenny stops.
JENNY
This isn’t the way to my place.
ANGELO
Sorry. I guess it’s in the next block.
JENNY
No. (pause) But it’s okay! Can’t blame a tourist for getting lost.
ANGELO
(sighs)
Look - I’m not a tourist. I was born a few miles away from here. I just can’t find my way around that well.
JENNY
Huh?
ANGELO
I can’t remember anything that well. Even after a few minutes I'll forget everything. And now I'm starting to forget other things too. I forgot my cousin's name yesterday.
JENNY
But that’s - I mean - that’s awful.
ANGELO
Yeah.
JENNY
Why? Did something happen? Could you have hit your head or something?
ANGELO
I don’t know. Or I don’t remember. Either way, I can’t explain it.
JENNY
Why don’t you go talk to someone? A doctor?
ANGELO
Why don’t you go see someone? About you not leaving your apartment in five years or something?
JENNY
I...
ANGELO
Exactly. I’d rather just live with it.
Jenny grabs Angelo and kisses him, hard. She then pushes him away and looks him straight in the eye.
JENNY
I’ll make you a deal. I’ll talk to a psychiatrist, you’ll talk to a doctor.
Angelo smiles wryly.
ANGELO
Fine. Deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment